Hello!

Thank you for stopping by!

A little about me: I love Scouting! I was a Girl Scout throughout grade school with the BEST mom/Leader ever. I did not do much scouting in high school beyond volunteering and taking leadership classes.
My son joined Cub Scouts as soon as I could sign him up in first grade, now it's my daughter's turn in Girl Scouts... time to Leader Up.

I started this blog as a way to stay accountable to myself, but I hope you find it useful. I welcome your comments!

Saturday, March 26, 2016

Differences in Scouting organizations...

The structure of a troop to the organization is where Cub Scouts and Girl Scouts differ. I am very happy to say that I did not have to lead a boy scout group, however I have had the opportunity to learn about the differences by volunteering and organizing activities in my son's Pack.

Cub Scouts are grouped in Dens under the Pack umbrella within the Boy Scouts of America organization. Each Pack is its own non-profit, however the Den does not have access to the accounting - that all goes through the pack treasurer. This can be frustrating when you have a large group.

Girl Scouts is set up in troops. Each troop has its own identity within the Service Unit (regional) under the Council umbrella. They have their own bank account and can choose to participate in the activities set up by other troops or not. This means that the leader can set the pace as an active troop or a passive one.

Similarly both troops and dens grow with the group of kids so that scouts do not have to change leaders when they advance, unless a leader steps down.

However, one major difference is how each group works with their scouts:
  • Girl Scouts encourages girls to run their own program. Even Daisies are encouraged to make some decisions and are given more responsibility and choices as they move on to Brownies, Juniors and so on, until they are leading and collaborating together to make decisions about activities, patches, and how to use their troop funds. The program goes a long way to promoting an independent spirit.
  • Cub Scouts do not run their program until they crossover to Boy Scouts. I understand that this transition can be quite a shock on some boys, depending on their personality. Of course, I am sure that the leader can allow boys to make some decisions, but generally it seems the parents and leaders are the ones who choose the activities. 
Both Organizations are amazing for the kids, however it makes a HUGE difference to them if their leaders are (1) organized and (2) willing to organize/participate in activities often.

No comments:

Post a Comment