Hello!

Thank you for stopping by!

A little about me: I love Scouting! I was a Girl Scout throughout grade school with the BEST mom/Leader ever. I did not do much scouting in high school beyond volunteering and taking leadership classes.
My son joined Cub Scouts as soon as I could sign him up in first grade, now it's my daughter's turn in Girl Scouts... time to Leader Up.

I started this blog as a way to stay accountable to myself, but I hope you find it useful. I welcome your comments!

Saturday, October 1, 2016

Happy Birthday Troop!

The first official meeting had to be special! I wanted the girls to leave so excited for the year, that they asked their parents every day if it was time for girl scouts. So the best way to kick off the year was a birthday party to celebrate the beginning of the troop; kids love birthday parties!
We began the meeting with the flag salute and then went over the promise (we do a little more with
this later to earn our blue center). I then congratulated the daisies on starting their Girl Scout journey by pinning each girl with their insignia tab and pins. The troop purchased the tab and daisy pin and asked the parents to supply the world trefoil pin.

After a little ball game to get to know each other, we went over the Girl Scout promise. I had it in different parts and the girls had to put it in order and then they got to play pin the center on the daisy. I think a couple girls tried to cheat through the bandana.

They made their own ice cream Sundays and after we sang happy birthday to troop 61942, I told the girls about kapers and we talked about the jobs that need to be done at home and during a meeting. When the girls had cleaned up, they colored little Girl Scout clip art that we are going to use for a kaper chart starting next meeting.

Last was PRESENTS!
The parents brought presents for the troop and the troop also had presents for the girls. The daisies sat in a circle with the presents between them. Starting out everyone chose one gift and we played the left/right game, by passing the gift according to the story. Then they went crazy opening the rest of the donated art supplies. The story I used was edited for the girls:
I left my house and was on my way to Lucy Left’s house for our first Girl Scout meeting, but my mom left the directions at home right by the phone! I knew right away that we needed to have the right directions to Lucy Left’s house, so Mom turned left then turned right to go back to my house for the right directions.
Sure enough, there they were, right where I had left them, right next to the phone and left of the picture of my cousins. Finally, we were on the right track. I arrived right on time for opening activities. Everyone arrived and sat right down after the flag solute.
I sat on the left of Lucy Left. The leader got right to work to tell us all about what we would be doing right after snack time then asked for suggestions so we could do things right from the start. There were wonderful ideas right from our own daisies that attended. Nothing was left out. The leader covered what type of meetings we would be having, what patches we could earn that would be just right for our group. She didn’t want anyone to be left out of our activities.
It was chaos! It was hilarious! And by the end of the story the girls were a little more comfortable with left and right.

The girl’s gift was their journal to take to and from meetings and the balloons that were blown up.

In the end it was a successful meeting and produced a very tired leader.

No comments:

Post a Comment