Hello!

Thank you for stopping by!

A little about me: I love Scouting! I was a Girl Scout throughout grade school with the BEST mom/Leader ever. I did not do much scouting in high school beyond volunteering and taking leadership classes.
My son joined Cub Scouts as soon as I could sign him up in first grade, now it's my daughter's turn in Girl Scouts... time to Leader Up.

I started this blog as a way to stay accountable to myself, but I hope you find it useful. I welcome your comments!

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

On my Honor...

Earning the Blue Center of the daisy is the simplest and the girls earned that between our parent meeting and first meeting.

Next is the first petal: 
Honest and Fair (light blue). 

I had some fun with this since we had just been talking about money, earning the Money Counts leaf, and with the elections so close all the girls are aware of political changes, even if they do not understand it.

I segwayed into the Honest and Fair by talking about what each of those words meant to the girls. I then showed them pictures of presidents on my phone (I just googled president's pictures) and asked who those people were.
They recognized George Washington and Abraham Lincoln and some of the other pictures that I pointed out. I told them that we would have a new president soon and we talked about what it meant to be president.
"A President is a person in charge of our country. In your house, who is in charge?"
Then I asked what they would do if they were in charge. There were some pretty silly scenarios that they came up with before I asked,
"How would you be Honest and Fair if you were in charge?"
You can see the backdrop to their
speeches behind my daughter.
With that in mind, as they were discussing I took out a box of fun dress-up accessories: hats, scarves, jewelry, crowns...

In a corner of the room I had set up a little backdrop (fabric on the wall) with a podium (table) so they each could give their "presidential speech" on how they would be honest and fair.

They LOVED this! They got to dress up and be center of attention. I realize that not all girls would like the attention, but that was not a concern for my group. The parents thought it was great too, since it was a good opportunity to record it.

The speeches all started out as "If I was in charge, I would be honest and fair by..."

Fair seemed to be the easier trait to explain since they were able to give an example, like being nice to friends or helping friends resolve a disagreement. I prompted them a little with honesty and asked them what it means, "to tell the truth" and then asked them a question. The question I asked my daughter was whether the candy wrappers I found on the couch this morning were her fault, the other girls had a more generic question like, 'are you excited about your new little sister?' or 'have you ever eaten something without permission?'

We breaked for snack and then play acted out scenarios on how to not be honest and fair, and then what is the right way to be honest and fair with your friends. For example, fighting over the same toy verses sharing willingly. These were also super fun and silly, but the girls know the difference between right and wrong.

We ended the meeting learning Make New Friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment