Hello!

Thank you for stopping by!

A little about me: I love Scouting! I was a Girl Scout throughout grade school with the BEST mom/Leader ever. I did not do much scouting in high school beyond volunteering and taking leadership classes.
My son joined Cub Scouts as soon as I could sign him up in first grade, now it's my daughter's turn in Girl Scouts... time to Leader Up.

I started this blog as a way to stay accountable to myself, but I hope you find it useful. I welcome your comments!

Saturday, September 9, 2017

New Year: We are Brownies!

First is our parent meeting is coming up!
We lost two girls to soft ball, but gained several others to round out our troop. I am hopeful that this year will be great!

We first meet at the pool and had a potluck. This will provid the girls a great opportunity to get to know one another, since some of the girls are going to different schools. While they were swimming, the parents will be able to look over and sign the new medical forms and troop information.

Some of the policies to discuss:

  1. I learned from a stressful year, that I cannot do it all by myself; it takes a village! This year, I am asking each parent to lend their skill by planning/organizing one badge each. So if they are a nurse, they can teach first aid... that sort of thing. There are so many options! Even if they want to do a specific activity that is non-badge related and the girls can earn a patch.
    Besides each parent contributing, this also means that each girl can take turns as the "leader daughter." 
  2. Dues. This year, I am planning to cover the cost of a brownie sash, patches, badges, and (if there is room at the end of the year) the girl's membership for 2018/19
  3. Volunteer sign ups. I am having a snack and duty sign up and get a feel for who is willing to get trained.
Last year we had 3 involved parents the others were not as involved, I think because I did not make it as obvious that I needed the help. Overall, I do not want this to be a stressful experience for anyone.

So this year, we are starting from the get-go!

Also to discuss is some of our outing opportunities and holiday events that are in the first couple months. 

What are the parents interested in getting out of this program? The next meeting we will be discussing this with the girls; what do THEY want out of THEIR program? We can move on from there. This year will be a great stepping stone toward leadership!

Next, It is time to organize my binder and files for this go round... I've been procrastinating on that a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment