Hello!

Thank you for stopping by!

A little about me: I love Scouting! I was a Girl Scout throughout grade school with the BEST mom/Leader ever. I did not do much scouting in high school beyond volunteering and taking leadership classes.
My son joined Cub Scouts as soon as I could sign him up in first grade, now it's my daughter's turn in Girl Scouts... time to Leader Up.

I started this blog as a way to stay accountable to myself, but I hope you find it useful. I welcome your comments!

Monday, March 21, 2016

New Troop Beginning...

A long, long time ago... After about twelve years in Girl Scouts as a young girl, I was super bored with high school so my mom told me to take some leadership classes. I believe her exact words were, "You are still registered. Stop moping around and go volunteer or take leadership classes!" So I did. A bunch of them.

The leadership classes that I did not need to take and do not remember at all, made me realize how much I have always enjoyed being a girl scout. In hindsight, I really should have traveled more in college and kept up my membership... luckily, I have a daughter and can live vicariously through her!

After two years of taking part in cub scout camps and activities, I had to break my daughter's heart, "Honey, I'm sorry, but you cannot be a boy scout."

Enter = Girl Scouts

Now the little girl is in Kindergarten and it is time to be a Daisy.

Do you know what happens when there are no troops? Someone has to step up and be a leader. People can see the "sucker" sign on my forehead from a mile away!

There are a few differences in Girl Scouting that I am having to learn.

  1. Tres Condados is no more. Now we are California's Central Coast, which means that it has grown.
  2. There are these things called Journeys that include a series of patches.
  3. Girls are not required to wear a full uniform. Say What?!
    This one was a shock since I always had a full get-up and I think the girls look the part when selling cookies or going places. I feel a little bad that I did not know this before, since I have said "no" to girl scout cookies a few times because the girl's looked sloppy.

It took several months to find a co-leader. That done, we get our number!

Next Post... How I set up the troop!



No comments:

Post a Comment